Monday, March 18, 2013

My First Steampunked Prop


I guess you could say I started out easy. I took a Ring Grinder made by Wolf's Magic and repainted it and altered the front slightly to give more of a steampunk genre look. I had actually purchased a gauge to mount on the top of it but it was too heavy and bulky. So instead I hand made the gauge that is now mounted where the old black knob used to be.

I have to give the majority of the credit to the folks at Wolfs Magic though because the prop already had somewhat of a steampunk look to start with. I sure admire their workmanship because I had to take the entire thing apart to do the work I wanted to do. What a well thought out and designed prop. My contribution was altering the original paint job, so that included painted the top, sides and front metal pieces bronze, changing the front faceplate color from yellow to brown, and removing the knob on the front and putting in the gauge. I also repainted the red knob on the side brown.

I'm posting this for people to see, NOT so that they can copy what I just did. :)

By the way, if you're interested in what the effect is, in my version it is a teleportation device and any small object placed inside the box can be teleported to a different location, and for the sake of magical performance, it's an 'impossible location'. The original prop was made for borrowing rings, however I use something different in my presentation that allows for a slight twist on the end of the trick.

No comments: